Financial & Corporate Development Director at LAMDA Hellix
Wharton Business School graduate and international finance executive with over 21 years of business strategy, corporate development, and finance experience within private equity, IT and multi-national consumer product companies. Strong transaction leadership skills, including managing internal teams and advisors, negotiating favorable terms with counterparties, and clearly and objectively presenting potential transactions to stakeholders and senior management. Broad expertise includes mergers and acquisitions, alternative investments, strategic planning, business development, contract negotiations, due diligence, recapitalizations, debt offerings, IPOs, restructurings, and divestitures.
(May 2012 – Present) LAMDA Hellix S.A., Athens, Greece
Data Center Outsourcing & Integration Services Provider
Financial & Corporate Development Director
Responsible for the company’s financial results and strategic planning.
- Member of senior executive team responsible for the overall financial management and strategy.
- Business partner to the Founder/CEO developing the strategic vision and expansion opportunities.
- Orchestrated recent Management Buy-Out whereas Founder and Management bought-out company from seed investor.
- Secured €1.5mm in EU subsidy for the expansion of our local data center facility in Athens.
- Secured €6.0mm equity funding from Private Equity firm and over €10.0mm of new debt instruments in order to execute expansion strategy outside of Greece.
- Key liaison person on the acquisition of a Bulgarian target, responsible for due diligence, negotiations and transaction documents. Currently in last stages of closing status.
- Implemented long-term budgetary planning and cost management in line with strategic plan.
- Oversee the management and coordination of all fiscal reporting activities for the organization including: organizational revenue/expense and balance sheet reports, cash flow management, development and monitoring of organizational and contract/grant budgets.
- During my tenure the company has grown revenues by over 42%, EBITDA by 55% and cash reserves by 121% despite operating in the very difficult Greek macroeconomic environment.
- Key contact with banks and resolving financial related issues with either customers or suppliers.
- Responsible for the implementation new ERP reporting system.
- Support the overall process of management and corporate decision-making to ensure the organization maximizes its short, medium and long-term profitability and shareholder returns
- Liaise with Board of Directors and other executive heads on key decisions pertaining to strategic initiatives and the organization’s operating model and operational execution.
(2010 – 2012) Theta Partners, Athens, Greece
Boutique advisory firm specializing in fundraising and mergers and acquisitions
Founder & Partner
Responsible for raising institutional funds for local firms along with advising renewable energy, shipping, and real estate firms on raising sectorial private equity funds
- Advised start-ups and early stage companies in preparing needed documentation for raising funds.
- Developed a network of value-investment propositions that were presented to potential investors.
- Represented three mid-sized companies that were being evaluated by both strategic and institutional investors.
- Local representative of NY-based Nova Capital Partners for sourcing deals in the area.
(2005 – 2010) Vectis Capital S.A., Athens, Greece
Private equity firm focused on South Eastern Europe and West Africa
Investment Director & Partner
Responsible for leading investor presentations, deal sourcing and structuring transactions, operations along with monthly and quarterly reporting for the firm’s second Private Equity fund
- Prepared the Private Placement Memorandum for the West African Advancement Fund and led the road show process for fund raising.
- Secured a €32mm Private Equity fund from both institutional and private investors for investments in Sub-Saharan West Africa.
- Developed a network of deals, external partners and advisors for deploying the Fund’s capital.
- Reviewed several investment opportunities in West Africa and presented those to the investment committee for approval.
- Sourced, structured and executed an $87.5mm Private Equity transaction in a leading listed West African bank and was appointed on its board of directors.
- Oversaw the operations for both the Greek and Nigerian offices and split my time between those two.
- Established an investment agreement with one of the world’s largest private equity funds to source and invest in deals in Southeastern Europe.
- Reviewed and presented several deals in Southeastern Europe to both our private equity partners and to a network of high net-worth individuals.
(2001 – 2005) iVEN S.A., Athens, Greece
Managing Director & Member of the Board
Responsible for evaluating investment proposals, overseeing joint ventures, negotiating strategic partnerships, monitoring transactions and financial performance, supervising investment professionals, liaising with government agencies and sitting on boards of portfolio companies
- Raised €4.4mm in equity funding from the National Bank of Greece private equity arm (NBGI) and from the Ministry of Development through an EU funding program.
- Invested in three start-up businesses, two of which were sold to Iron Mountain and Career Builder for over ten times invested capital.
- Developed infrastructure and policies based on best practices of international business incubators to drive the firm from inception to implementation.
- Initiated and managed ready4growth, a pan-European business start-up preparation program along with three other incubators from a Britain, Spain and The Netherlands who participated along.
(1999 – 2000) European Dynamics, S.A., Athens, Greece
Provider of information technology and communications services
Assistant Managing Director
Responsible for driving strategic planning, business development, joint ventures, financial performance, operations, contract negotiation, and supplier relationships
- Led the effort for listing on the Athens Stock Exchange.
- Responsible for e-business and the development of an internet platform (portal).
- Restructured the financial budgeting and control systems to improve profitability.
(1997 – 1999) Unilever Home & Personal Care, Greenwich, CT
Multinational consumer products company, specializing in food & beverage and personal care products
Commercial Manager, Oral Care Division, Category Finance
Responsible for developing the division strategy, supporting capital and acquisitions planning, evaluating risks and trade-offs, assessing and executing operating plans, and driving $400 million in turnover
- Led the Home & Personal Care Total Business Productivity committee, which spearheaded cost savings initiatives.
- Analyzed competitors’ strategies and financial structures to support strategy development, benchmarking, and continuous improvement processes.
Associate Commercial Manager, Personal Wash Division, Category Finance
Responsible for managing the profitability of Dove and Caress brands, evaluating business opportunities and risks, and conducting business planning and reporting
- Launched Dove Nutrium, a dual chamber body wash that achieved great success in the U.S.
- Devised a new reporting process that improved ability to monitor financial performance.
- Recommended an investment strategy based on prioritization of efficiency and effectiveness of marketing support, portfolio management, and strategic capital investment.
(1995 – 1997) PepsiCo Inc., Purchase, NY
Multinational manufacturer, marketer, and distributor of food and beverage brands
Associate, Corporate Strategic Planning Group
Responsible for conducting market, financial, and competitive analysis to support international growth strategy and executive decision-making and developing the annual forecast and operating plan
- Secured approval from Board of Directors to relocate the Athens plant and close the Salonica plant.
- Worked with a Russian team in expanding operations in Siberia, a $160 million investment plan.
- Analyzed country and market attractiveness reports and presented to local management.
- Evaluated capital investment opportunities and prepared entry strategies for expanding restaurant and beverage businesses internationally
(Summer 1994) Deloitte & Touche, Athens, Greece
A Big Four accounting firm, which offers audit, tax, consulting, risk, and financial advisory services
Responsible for conducting client interviews, reviewing company structure, strategy, and procedures, and recommending more efficient processes as part of the restructuring assignment from our client.
(1991 – 1993) Southern Star Shipping Co., Inc., New York, NY
Owner and operator of bulk carrier vessels
Responsible for analyzing shipping markets, negotiating cargos and contracts, expanding shipping operations, and representing the company on industry panels.
- Sourced, negotiated and planned cargo employment for company’s vessels both on a time-chartered and bear-boat basis.
- Liaised with other departments in implementing new IT system that managed and streamlined reporting and operational effectiveness across all departments and overseas offices.
(1995) THE WHARTON SCHOOL, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
Master of Business Administration (MBA)
Dual major in Entrepreneurial and Operations Management
Participated at the 1994 Wharton Global Immersion Program in Japan
(1991) TUFTS UNIVERSITY
Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering (BScME), Medford, MA
Double major in Mechanical Engineering and Quantitative Economics
Cum Laude distinction, Dean’s List for six semesters
Alumnus of Athens College High School
Member of the Board of Wharton Club of Greece
Bilingual in Greek and English, basic knowledge of German
Qualified to work both in the EU and the US
Dual citizen of Greece and U.S.A.